So remember that ladies' Bible study I was telling you guys about? The one where I needed a cool craft for? Yeah, well my friend Sarah, another coordinator of said Bible Study, pulled through for me and found an awesome craft for us to do: this here serving tray. (She found it here and we mostly followed that tutorial, with some adjustments.)
We needed a craft that was #1. cheap and #2. awesome. As moms, we all get those aww...so precious but useless crafts that our kids make at Bible school. We have our fair share of windchimes, "vases", picture frames, and Ryder-head crayons. (All of which I love, since my kid made it.) But this time I wanted something that we could actually use; something that served a purpose other than being stuck on our fridges.
The project met the requirements: it was cheap (we only paid for the chalkboard paint) and it's pretty awesome-looking if you ask me. We started with this board that I picked up at a yard sale for 50 cents. It's 9 ft long.
Mitch then cut it into three 30" pieces. I wanted my tray substantial. He then took a belt sander to it to remove the paint and smoothed things out.
Next, I stained the boards with leftover Minwax Special Walnut (leftover from staining our butcher block counters). This took like two seconds. Just apply to a rag and wipe on. Since this wood was barnwood, it soaked in the stain nicely. I didn't have to go back and wipe any extra stain off. Oh and yeah, I still have to get to those Adirondack chairs...thanks for pointing that out. Sheesh.
I then took painters tape (it was the 1-1/2" stuff) and taped off the edges, making sure the inside part of the tape was firmly in place (to make for a nice crisp line).
Then just paint away. This was my first time using chalkboard paint. I only applied one coat since I didn't want to wait a couple hours to reapply. (I'm not patient, remember?) I think the one coat was all it needs anyway--it covered nicely. I removed the tape when the paint was still tacky. I remember reading somewhere that that's what you're supposed to do.
Nice and crisp, baby!
You're supposed to wait three days to write on your board. Which, surprisingly, I did.
Mitch drilled the holes for the handles for me.
He used a larger drill bit on the backside to countersink the screws so the board would lay flat.
Once the holes were drilled for the handles, just screw them in with a screwdriver and that's it. I was able to use extra handles that Mitch's dad had lying around, which of course kept cost down.
I love how they turned out!
And with using the old board, there's "character" throughout. It's perfect.