I've been craving some zucchini bread and just happened to have a few extra zucchini from the garden. This bread is so moist and delicious (especially with some butter slathered on top).
This zucchini bread is made with coconut oil. I actually have replaced all other cooking oils (besides extra virgin olive oil) with coconut oil. So whenever a recipe calls for vegetable, canola, or corn oil, I simply exchange it for refined coconut oil. Refined coconut oil means that the taste and flavor of coconut has been removed, so if you don't want your dish to have a coconut flavor, be sure to use refined oil. Now when using it for baking, the only difference is that I melt my coconut oil before adding it to a recipe. This is what it looks like. Coconut oil is in a solid state until it reaches about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. So I simply scoop it out and melt it in the microwave for about 30 seconds (unless it's a warm day, then it's already melted for me).
(For more information about the benefits of using coconut oil, go here.)
There's two whole cups of zucchini in this recipe! So it's super moist and delicious.
(adapted from here)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup refined coconut oil, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium sized zucchini, shredded (don't squeeze out the excess moisture, this keeps the bread moist)
1/2 cup regular oats
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Add crumb topping 15 minutes into baking. This allows the crumbs to stay on top rather than sinking into the batter.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.