Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Scariest Night of My Life

Last night was a night of firsts. My first time witnessing a seizure, first time calling 911 for a real emergency, first time watching my child convulse, first time having a panic attack: it truly was the scariest night of my life.

At dinner, Ryder complained that he was cold. We kinda wrote it off, not thinking anything about it. Then he was lethargic and almost fell backward off his stool. Mitch caught him just in time for him to lean forward and almost smash his head on our hard countertop. Mitch again to the rescue--he stopped his head with his hand. Mitch saw his eyes roll back but then he "came to" right away. So that was weird, but again we didn't think too much of it. Later on, Ry was wrapped up in a blanket on the couch with Mitch watching his favorite Donald Duck You Tube videos. Mitch no sooner told me that he was burning up that it happened--he started convulsing. Long story short, Ryder had what is known as a febrile convulsion. It's a common occurance in children 6 months-6 years of age when their fever spikes. You can read more about it here. They took a chest x-ray and blood work at the hospital. Ryder was in the beginning stages of pneumonia, so they gave him a prescription for that. And he was sooo good while they were drawing his blood. He didn't cry at all. What a trooper!

All in all, looking back, I have so much to be thankful for. #1. Mitch was home when it happened. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had I been alone. I was a wreck. Mitch was cool, calm, and collected. (At least from the outside.) He stayed with Ryder the whole time while I was totally freaking out. #2. Mitch's parents were home. They live right next door and I ran over there, got them, and they stayed with us the rest of the night, talked to the 911 dispatcher and drove Mitch to the ER while I went in the ambulance. #3. Family and friends were at the hospital with us showing their love and support. #4. Friends were praying.

I hope we never have to experience that ever again. Here's a couple pictures of Ry with his chest x-ray.

 And he's back to his normal self this morning. Praise God!


  1. oh my goodness what a nightmare you must have been beside yourself (kids have a way of making our hearts stop still dont they) you poor thing

  2. Kat,
    That is so scary! Nothing worse than panic over your kids. I'm so glad everything is alright.

  3. That would be scary especially when it involves your kids. I'm so happy everything worked out.

  4. How scary that is and I am so thankful he is OK.

  5. That's horrible! Poor little guy--and poor you!! So glad he's OK and that you have a great support system!

  6. Kat - I was just spending some time catching up on "you". Alli had these when she was little. 7 mos to be exact. We were in the hospital for 3 days with her first one. Since then I've learned the following: She is often dehydrated, needs to be intentional about drinking water all the time. If she gets slightly hot, we cool her down immediately with icewater, stand out in the snow, under a cold shower, whatever it takes. These seizures are supposed to go away at ages 5 & 6. Alli had her last one (which was really small) in 5th grade. Her body cannot take a rapid change of internal temperature. She is aware of it and we haven't been back to the emergency room since day 1 - we just handle them on our own since we know what to do. The other thing that we do is alternate motrin and tylenol and shorten the time in between - 3 hours is fine.... Trying to keep her body at a low temp and not let it rise is the key to our success! Anytime she used to complain about not feeling well I would start tylenol IMMEDIATELY whether she was really hot yet or not. Call me if you ever have questions. Also - tell your nursery and church workers to be on the look out for temperatures..... It always seemed to catch us off guard since she seemed fine one minute and convulsing the next! UGH! They do live through them! (smile!)
    Tracey Z


Blogging tips